The rough texture of the burlap allows us to make different decorations with a rustic style. Do you want to incorporate this element in your home? Discover 5 interesting recommendations.
Burlap decoration has become a trend among rustic lovers. Due to the characteristics of this material, many have decided to incorporate it in spaces such as terraces, living rooms or gardens, among others. Do you want to take advantage of it in your home?
Burlap is a type of textile that is obtained from the natural fibers of hemp or jute. It is a resistant material that stands out for having a thick and rough texture. Although for many years it was used to make bags to store merchandise, today it is an excellent resource for decoration. Find out some tips below.
Burlap decorating tips: 5 ideas for your home
Burlap is an inexpensive material that can be used in many ways when decorating the home. Due to its characteristic texture and color, it is used to upholster furniture, cushions and other accessories to decorate interior and exterior spaces.
Although initially the decoration with burlap was exclusive to country houses or with a rustic style, its use gradually spread in other types of environments: Nordic style, vintage or shabby chic, among others. Are you interested in adding it to your home? Let’s do it!
1. Upholster furniture and armchairs
To take advantage of the decoration with burlap in areas such as living rooms, gardens and terraces, you can choose to upholster furniture and armchairs with this material. Due to its color and texture, it adds a minimalist and vintage touch in these types of spaces. Keep in mind that the texture will be a bit rough.
- When upholstering the furniture with this material, make sure to fit it very well, as this leaves a better finish and prevents the material from deteriorating prematurely.
- If desired, use the burlap to make accent pillows to put on the furniture.
2. Object organizer
Do you want a rustic touch in the bedroom, kitchen or study room? So, aim this idea with burlap. It consists of making an organizer with several compartments to store small objects. Even if you make big pockets, you can use it to organize your shoes.
- Take an old burlap sack, cut it to the desired shape, and sew several pockets or behaviors.
- Decoration accessories are at your own expense: embroidery, ribbons, paint, etc.
3. Cutlery holder
The covered porta often used primarily on special occasions like family gatherings or celebrations. To make them without having to spend too much you can opt for this alternative with burlap. They are very easy to manufacture and require few materials.
- Cut a burlap sack into several pieces to the size you prefer.
- Then sew them together to form a small sack.
- Finally, decorate it to your liking and put the cutlery inside.
4. Indoor lamps in decoration with burlap
Is your room rustic in style? Do you want to give your office a more vintage look? Wherever you prefer to have a lamp you can implement this idea with burlap. This porous fabric is ideal for creating calm and romantic environments. In addition, it lends itself to varying designs.
- If you have a lamp at home, renew it by lining the outside with burlap.
- To make a lamp from scratch, purchase the assembly and use the burlap to shape it to your liking.
5. Pots for plants
- To use it when growing you can do the following: fill a sack with soil if the plant is of a considerable size.
- If you are dealing with small plants, cut the bag into several pieces and sew it into smaller bags. Fill them with soil and do the sowing.
On decorating with burlap…
Burlap decoration is an inexpensive method to give a more country feel to the spaces of the house. You can take advantage of the material in the storage bags, or buy it in textile stores. The most important thing is to combine it with other decorative elements to have a cozy, elegant atmosphere and the desired style.